Monday 2 September 2013

Is it LOVE at first sight, ...

..Nope, my heart was frozen and my taste buds went awry..

I am not a professional food reviewer and many will condemn me, maybe, after this entry. But I review sincerely and I always believe that good food are meant to be shared and those aren't deserve a chance of improvisation and there will always be a better rendition after comments which were accepted with open heart.

SERAI is a huge name. An exclusive dine-in restaurant and I believe can be afford by only a few of us. 'Can be afford' means, something that is so routine that you can simply subscribe yourself to it daily. At least that's what 'can be afford' meant to me. As for me, SERAI is within my budget but not in my 'affordable' list. Therefore, spending time and resources dining in at Serai took sometime for me to be executed.



I wasn't very well with morning sickness and all a few months ago and my husband took me out for lunch. Nothings seems to be able to make me wanting to eat and he brought me to this outlet in Paradigm. SERAI. Approaching this outlet alone excite me. I have been getting good comments from friends about SERAI but was contemplating ever since due to it's undoubtedly expensive plates. But that day, I walked in with a huge smile into the premise proudly with my husband.

Sirap selasih - served hot
It was close to 12.30pm when we arrived at Paradigm. Lunchtime and people were flocking the food & beverages outlet. It was not hard to get seating at Serai, we let ourselves in without any warm greeting and were greet inside by a petite young lady who then ushered us to a table for two. We were given the menu book each but my eyes was hooked at the pavlova inside the glass counter. I thought to order that later on after my main course.
Hot tea served in tea-pot with sugar & creamer packets

There wasn't many choices in the menu book so I wasn't spoiled. I decided to have Nasi Goreng Serai, sirap selasih served hot and my husband went for fried Kuey Teow and hot tea. We didn't order for appetizer because no appetizer seems to be appetizing enough..

And our verdict ;
Fried Kuey Teow came with one large prawn and diced salad (red cabbage, white cabbage & carrot)
Fried Kuey Teow was flat and too spicy. But the prawn was nicely fried and seasoned. They need salt in their kitchen and I am not sure what type of soy sauce they're using because at least the soy sauce should be effective in giving a slight salty to the noodles but nope, it fail..

Nasi Goreng Kampung style

Nasi Goreng Kampung style came with...
It was ok. Nicely fried rice with lots of kangkung. Unfortunately, the kangkung was a bit hard to chew, it was supposed to be tender, I don't know what happen in the kitchen. But the accompanied fish keropok did a good job together with the acar timun. It was well blended with carrot slice and red onion with the vinegar. Sweet, tangy, salty and a hint of spicy in the acar goes well when you eat it with the fried rice. The keropok was easily chewed and done. To my frustration was the cucumber, it was not fresh, perhaps a yesterday's left over or they bought an old cucumber... :(
Two sticks chicken satay with peanut sauce
Chicken satay  accompanying the fried rice was slightly frustrating. Why? It was not served hot as I expected it to be, it was cold with cold peanut sauce and it tasted like it was yesterday's and just being taken out of the chiller.

Nice fish keropok
 The fish keropok strips did a good job, excellent one. Unfortunately, my order was Fried Rice Kampung style...and not keropok ikan....

Acar was nicely superb
Acar did a good job too.


Overall, I gave 5/10 for their kuey teow and 7/10 for the fried rice. Presentation wise, they were good. But for a food to be glorious, it has to be in a package - presentation for first impression, the taste and the freshness of the ingredients. I really hope Serai could do better. It's not cheap to dine @ Serai so make every diner's dime worth!

I was very frustrated with what been served and I straight away cancel my desire to have their pavlova. I don't want to feel more miserable. Maybe they taste nice but I do not have any regret for not trying.

So, the next time you're in Paradigm, do visit Serai. And let me know of any dish you try there, I would love to know how the other dish fare to you and maybe, I'll walk in to try their pavlova, perhaps! ;)

Till then, spread good things around and a better things will find their way towards you! 

No comments:

Post a Comment